Sunday, July 6, 2008

Role-Models

I realised sometime ago that both lecturers and seniors serve as role-models for us to learn from.

During gynae, we went to PD and got SD for teaching. Well, from the start we got the shelling edi. As we were moving from one bed to the other, my friend asked me sumthin about the last pt. SD got really upset. "I am trying to teach here and this clowns are talking behind me," he told the accompanying MO. "Listen to me when I'm talking!" he screamed at us. "Observe how I interact with patients! How I give consultation, what mistakes ur seniors are making, how I comfort pt!"

Even though I didnt get to take down a shred of note dat day, I learnt alot of lessons about character. I realised that there is more to just tailing doctors while they do their ward rounds and waiting for them to directly teach us med students. I think we should take active steps to try and be inspired by them as they do their work. Watch how they talk to patients, try to follow their train of thoughts as they work out the management for a complex case.

I take my inspiration to be as hardworking as possible and to share what I have learnt with others (in contrast to ppl who are really kiasu and dont wan to share stuff) from the juniors one batch before ours. They are really an amazing batch, demonstrating hardworkingness and always helping each other out without having a sense of superiority over each other or fear of lookin stupid in front of the smarter students.

I was inspired to study out of topic for the sake of being a safe doctor by a really super senior, now workin in Sabah i think. He knew how to read ECGs long before others, and always organized things into categories and lists. He also said to not always trust textbooks, and to always see what was REALLY happening in the wards.

My inspiration to become a doctor with a sense of mission comes from 5 lecturers who really demonstrated sumthin far more than just a lecturer.

I found this quote while studyin for a Buddhist exam that I'd like to share with u all. Tsunesaburo Makiguchi, a Japanese teacher and founding father of SGI, writes:

"We learn how to live by imitating others. We observe what others do and copy what we see, trusting in their example. The same is true of flower arrangement, dance, kendo, judo or any other art or skill. We trust our teachers and do what they say. After mastering imitation, we move on to creativity. That is how one learns to live."

Ah, my last imitation was also during gynae, where i "imitated" one of our lecturers who kept sayin "give me 5 causes of recurrent miscarriage" or "tell me 10 causes of PPH". I find that assigning lists a set number or grouping things into categories make them easier to memorize. Another gynae lecturer told about how during his student days, med students had vivas, so the nite b4 exams they would be practicing non-stop. I tried that the other day, pretending i wuz at a viva, and found the learning experience to be quite fun (and u can ensure u know all ur stuff about a disease).

Our time here at uni is not all about memorizing stuff, but to also glean as much as possible from the characters of outstanding ppl around us. And that leads us to becoming great and competent doctors (and also give SD some peace of mind, now dat would be a great way to pay back for all the teachings he gave us). Gambateh for finalz!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

talking abt the "kiasu" person, i just wonder if that's the "N" anot...

Anonymous said...

Johan, just be yourself. Don't force yourself on the things that u feel uncomfortable to do.

Wish u good luck in your coming EOS 9 exams. Chung Yaw Yee also.

PS: Don't just imitate, be creative, invent new things. Or else where the new inventions will be created?

Yuen said...

ALL THE BEST IN YOUR UPCOMING EOS 9 EXAMS!!! Ganbatte, ne? ^.^